Thursday, March 22, 2007

Whipped Shortbread Cookies


These easy cookies are simply wonderful! I decorate them with red or green sugar or with candied cherries for Christmas, (and this year I dipped some in white sugar and flattened them with a snowflake-design cookie stamp), but I make them any time of year and they can be dipped in plain sugar or multicolored candy sprinkles. Pastel sugars would be pretty for Easter.

WHIPPED SHORTBREAD

3 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted if very lumpy
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
Colored candy sprinkles and/or halved candied cherries and/or red and green colored sugar

Using a heavy-duty mixer, beat butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredients, beating constantly until well blended. Roll dough into 1-inch balls (dust hands with additional cornstarch if necessary); dip balls in either colored candy sprinkles or colored sugar. Place balls, decorated side up, on ungreased cookie sheets. Press each ball lightly with a fork. (If you wish to decorate cookies with cherries, do this: Do not dip balls in colored sprinkles or sugar. Instead, place plain balls on cookie sheet and press lightly with fork. Then top each cookie with a cherry half.) You may wish to do an assortment and trim some cookies with candy sprinkles, some with colored sugar, and some with cherries.

Bake cookies at 300ΒΊ for 20 to 22 minutes, or until cookies are set but not browned.

Yield: 16 dozen cookies

This is a very big recipe, but it is very easily divided in half (or even in thirds) if you wish to make a smaller batch. It is so easy, but produces many beautiful cookies quite quickly.

12 comments:

  1. Mrs. T, do you use self-rising or all-purpose flour for these? I can just tell by looking at them that we would love them! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Smith,

    I use all-purpose flour in these. They are wonderful -- a true "must-make" Christmas cookie every year for us. I hope your family enjoys them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! These were good!!! I just made this recipe and had to come tell you that we are enjoying these light little cookies so much! I may not be light after eating them, because I can't stop! :) I cut the recipe in half, but next time, I'm making the full recipe and freezing any leftover dough. These were AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Smith, I am so happy that you and your family are enjoying these cookies so much! They are one of our favorites, for sure. Mr. T had made only half a batch of these, but he'll probably be making more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just copied this one as well. I like that they make so many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you and your family and friends enjoy them, Lauren!

      Delete
  6. LogCabinWeaver5:38 PM

    Thank you for sharing your yummy recipes! πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, Patty! Enjoy! πŸŽ„πŸ˜Š

      Delete
  7. Anonymous3:33 PM

    These sound amazing, but before I make them is there really 1.5 cups of cornstarch? Thanks for posting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the 1 1/2 cups of cornstarch is correct. The cornstarch sort of replaces some of the flour and is what gives the cookies a light, melt in your mouth texture. 😊

      Delete
    2. Anonymous11:27 AM

      Thank you for the reply! I'm making these today ☺️

      Delete
    3. Enjoy! 😊

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!