Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Bessie's Chex Mix"


Here is one of the recipes mentioned in the previous post. Tomorrow I'll plan to share my grandmother's hot chocolate mix, which is quite a bit different from mine.

"BESSIE'S MIX"

As mentioned previously, I've been unable to locate the exact recipe
Bessie used. What I've done is to cobble together a couple of recipes
from the 1950s that hopefully taste like what I remember.

2 cups Corn Chex
2 cups Rice Chex
2 cups Wheat Chex
2 cups Cheerios
2 cups thin short pretzel sticks
3/4 cup salted peanuts
1/2 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Preheat oven to 250°. Mix cereals, pretzels and peanuts together in a
large bowl. Combine the melted butter and seasonings; pour over cereal
mixture and toss all together to mix very well. Spread cereal mixture
on a baking sheet or in a 13x9-inch pan. Bake mixture for 1 hour, stirring
every 15 minutes. Spread mix on paper towels to cool before serving or
packaging.

Transfer mix to Con-Tact™-paper-covered cans with lids -- like coffee
cans or peanut cans. Give a tin of mix to everyone on your Christmas
list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!