Friday, November 16, 2007

Two Victorian-style projects


Here are a couple of quick and easy craft projects you can make with old Christmas cards or wrapping paper.

The first project is a pin, the second is an ornament.

For the pin, find a small Victorian motif on an old Christmas card or a scrap of wrapping paper. (I have seen several wrapping papers that are basically a collage of Victorian motifs.)

Glue the motif to posterboard or thin cardboard and let dry.

Carefully cut around the edges of the motif through both paper and the board it is glued to.

Hot-glue a pin back to the back side of the cardboard, centering it near the top.

Coat the front of the motif with mod podge at least three times, letting it dry between coats. If desired, sprinkle glitter on the motif before the last coat of mod podge dries.

For an ornament, you could follow the same steps, only instead of a pin-back, hot-glue a loop of gold cord to the center back of the cardboard near the top.

I made my pin round and ran a thin metallic cord around the outer edge. I was quite pleased with the way it came out, but my son persisted in referring to it as my "panic button" so I didn't wear it too often!

I made my ornaments rectangular or oval, trimmed the edge with decorative cord, and glued a tassel made from tinsel to the bottom center of one ornament. I want to make more of these. The photo shows two of the oval ornaments.



Hope someone else has fun with this idea!

2 comments:

  1. these are delightful. This is my favorite time period !!! We will have to make them thanks !!!

    Mica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed seeing these, Mica! They were fun to make... I hope I can do more of them this year.

    Hope you and your family enjoy this project... and thanks for stopping by my Christmas kitchen!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!