Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Advent Countdown project!


Wow, it has been a long time since I have found time to post here. Hopefully I can begin posting on a more regular basis soon. Meanwhile, I did just want to post this photo of a project I did a few years back.
This is an Advent countdown made from directions in Gooseberry Christmas Book 6. An old frame is painted -- I used a coat of white paint over a coat of dark green and then a coat of crackle medium over that. Then one cuts heavy cardboard to fit in the frame and wraps the cardboard with batting and fabric -- I used red flannel. 4 strips of 1.5-inch wide Christmas ribbon are glued vertically over the fabric, evenly spaced, then one glues pockets made from card stock or old Christmas cards to the ribbons. Number tags are then added for the dates from 1 to 24. I made three of these at the time (all somewhat different), one for each of our grown children and their families, and it was one of the most fun projects I ever worked on.

The right sort of ribbon is easily found in Walmart this time of year, and it's fun to choose from the great variety that's available. I made about half of my pockets from old Christmas cards, and the rest from red or green card stock with stickers added.

To fill the pockets, I made strips of paper with fun ideas on them, like "Make paper snowflakes", "Go see a Christmas parade", "Make some fudge", etc. The pockets could also be filled with things like sticks of gum, small candies, stickers, candy canes, even coins or folded dollar bills.

Maybe someone else will have fun with this idea!

2 comments:

  1. I like your Advent Calendar a lot! This is a really nice way to do it! I think I chose the "hard way" for mine!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nancy. I made three of these and had a lot of fun figuring out the frames, ribbons, and little pockets for each one. I have done Advent calendars the "hard way" too, and those were fun, but these are more so!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!