Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Snowy Lemon Snack Mix


I guess this recipe is technically titled Chex® Lemon Buddies, but in my opinion that name doesn't really do it justice. so I gave it a new name. I tried this Sunday afternoon when I really wanted to bake some Christmas cookies, but didn't have time. I had seen the recipe on someone's blog and it sounded intriguing. It was very quick and easy to fix. Here's the recipe:

Snowy Lemon Snack Mix

9 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 1/4 cup white vanilla baking chips
1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 tsp grated lemon peel (may use less)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cups powdered sugar

Measure cereal into a large mixing bowl and set aside. In a microwaveable bowl, microwave chips, butter, lemon peel and juice uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 more seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar, seal bag and shake until all the cereal is well-coated.

Notes:

* The recipe didn't say how to store this mix, but obviously airtight is a good idea. I put some in a tin to send to faraway friends who love lemon. I put the rest in a zip-top plastic bag. The blogger who shared this says she keeps hers in the fridge and that makes it even tastier. I haven't tried that, though.

* I just used the juice and rind of one lemon, which turned out to be about 2 tsp. grated rind and about 2 Tblsp. lemon juice.

* I only had 1-gallon zip-top bags to shake the mixture in, so I used one of thosse and just shook half the mixture at a time with 1 cup of powdered sugar. It worked out fine.

This is really delicious if you enjoy lemon, and quite different. Best of all, easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!