Monday, February 20, 2012

Christmas Card List of Blessings

Did you ever think of your Christmas card list as a list of blessings?  I must admit that I have never thought of it that way.  I don't think of sending cards as a chore, as some do -- I tend to think of it more as a means of keeping in touch with friends and family we seldom see -- but I had never thought about seeing my list as a list of blessings.  The following was printed on the back of our church bulletin for January 8:

"As Christmas greetings are addressed in the coming days, this poem reminds us that Christmas card lists are more than just address lists.

"Our Mailing List of Blessings

Our mailing list is more than just a way to keep track of
The special people God has brought into our lives to love.
It's like a treasured scrapbook filled with pleasant memories
Of all the times God has answered prayer through friends and family.
Every name's a touchstone that leads to a place and time
Where God has used another's heart to reach out and touch mine.
It may have happened years ago or even yesterday,
But every person on our list has changed our lives some way
Through simple conversation, a warm hug or shared meal,
Every person on our list has helped us grow or heal
Or laugh or love or learn or smile -- the blessing never ends,
As God allows our paths to cross as family and friends.
So please know that this greeting is more than just a wish;
It's a 'thank you' card to God for putting you on our list.
                                                                -- Author Unknown"

"I thank my God upon every remembrance of you." (Philippians 1:3)

The meter for this poem is a little odd, but once you read it correctly it actually does rhyme.  If that bothers you, then just think of it as blank verse.  This little poem has certainly  helped me to look at my Christmas card list differently!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!