Monday, December 03, 2012

Gluten-free Gingersnaps

Below is a favorite little cookbook from my childhood.  Now I have my own copy of it!

Have you started your Christmas baking yet?  This year I am on a hunt for a few good gluten-free Christmas cookie recipes.  Probably lots of other people are involved in that same search.  Yesterday I was thinking about this and remembered my gluten free gingersnap recipe.

Growing up, one of our traditional Christmas cookies was the Betty Crocker recipe for molasses crinkles.  These are basically gingersnaps.  My mother always dipped the balls of dough in red or green sugar at Christmas time.  I always did the same in my own kitchen as my family was growing up.  So for me, gingersnaps qualify as a Christmas cookie.

This past fall when we had a houseful of visiting family, I tried a gluten free gingersnap.  We made these twice -- and the second time, with little kids assisting me, I forgot to add the molasses.  I  can vouch for the fact that they were even good without it, but of course they were softer and more flavorful with the molasses added.  I think I even doubled the recipe the second time.  These are highly recommended!

GLUTEN-FREE  GINGERSNAPS
1/4 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
3 Tblsp. molasses
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 Tblsp. water, if necessary
Sugar, white or colored, for dipping

In a large bowl beat together the butter, molasses, brown sugar, and vanilla until blended.

Sift the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, salt and spices into the mixture in the bowl.  Stir these dry ingredients into the butter mixture, adding water if necessary to form a dough that can be shaped into a soft ball.  Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.

Heat oven to 325º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Shape the dough into 1-inch balls; dip the top of each in sugar.  Place the cookie balls on the prepared baking sheet.  Flatten each cookie slightly with the bottom of a drinking glass that has been greased or dipped in sugar.

Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes.  Cool them right on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

The recipe said this makes 16 cookies.  I think I got at least 20-24 cookies from a single batch.

(Recipe adapted slightly from Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus, by Carol Fenster.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!