Friday, December 11, 2015

Christmas island



My kitchen island -- which I just got around to decorating this afternoon -- has a baking vignette of sorts.  As I've mentioned, the baking book is just like one my mother had.  Some of the cookie cutters are old and from my grandmother.  I've had the milk bottle quite a few years and display it every Christmas.  The little rolling pin was used by my girls when they were little, and the small red-handled board is one I found at my parents' home. 

Here's the cookie recipe if you're interested:

CHRISTMAS CUT-OUT COOKIES

1 cup shortening (may use half margarine)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. almond extract
3/4 tsp. vanilla
3/4 tsp. orange extract
2 unbeaten eggs
2 1/2 cups flour

Combine all but the flour and beat thoroughly. Add flour and mix well. Chill dough thoroughly.

Roll small portions of dough 1/4-inch thick and cut out. [Edited to add: decorate cookies before baking with sprinkles and colored sugars; or, bake the cookies plain and frost when cool.]

Bake for 8-10 minutes in 375º oven.

This is from my friend Marilyn's late mother, Fran.  The cookies are wonderful; such festive flavors!

And just for fun I gave one of my island pictures a sepia tone.  Looks like it could have been taken 50+ years ago, doesn't it?  Love it ... it could have come straight from my mother's kitchen.

4 comments:

  1. I have some very old cookie cutters too. It's special to think of how many cookies have been made and enjoyed over the years with those old cookie cutters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it? I have one of my grandmother's biscuit cutters too (in addition to a few of her cookie cutters) and I often think how many baking powder biscuits have been cut using that old cutter. Love continuity using family treasures like these!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Thanks, Luludou!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!