Wednesday, October 11, 2017

A little vintage Christmas gift!


As many of my readers know, I've been cleaning out a house.  One thing I've been finding is lots of decorative tins full of odds and ends. 

A really fun find in one such tin was a net scrubby -- I think it was probably intended to be enclosed in a Christmas card.  Or, it may just have been a bazaar item.  It's a rectangle of red netting -- it looks like about four layers, cut 5-1/4 inches by  3-1/4 inches -- sewed together with green thread.  Up in one corner is a little embroidered evergreen sprig.
And attached to the scrubby was this little mimeographed poem:

This Christmas card of nylon net
Will help you most when it is wet.
It's extra good for pots and pans;
Eliminates most dishpan hands. 
So for my year-long Christmas wishes,
Use it when you do the dishes.

Cute, don't you think?  I may make up a few of these to tuck into special Christmas cards!

8 comments:

  1. This is very cute! I've never seen one like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had either, Vicki. I was so intrigued by it! I'm likely to find some netting as I continue going through the house, so may be able to make some of these without even shopping for materials!

      Delete
  2. That is so cute, what a neat little gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it, Mary? I was just thinking too, wouldn't it be fun to use another color of netting and embroider a snowflake instead of an evergreen sprig?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of another color of netting and a snowflake. Maybe the netting comes in blue? That would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that the netting comes in green, and I am pretty sure I could find it in a blue, also. I think blue would be very pretty with a snowflake.

      Delete
  5. Love the poem but the card is my favorite!!! so cosy and warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun idea, isn't it, Lucie? I'm thinking I may make up a few of these as they look extremely quick and easy to make.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!